What is Kiddle?
Kiddle is a web search engine for kids and an online encyclopedia that emphasizes safety for young children by pushing child-safe content higher in its search results. It’s designed to block profanity and other questionable words from search results.
After the user enters the subject, Kiddle presents search results with the first three results being deemed safe and written specifically for kids and “checked by Kiddle editors”. The next four results are safe sites not written especially for kids, but presented in kid-friendly language. The eighth result and anything else beyond are safe sites written for adults but harder to understand for kids.
If the user enters words that may not be suitable for children, a picture of a robot is displayed telling the user to try again.
How Does this Search Engine for Kids Work?
How is this Tool Designed Specifically for Kids?
1) Safe Search: sites appearing in Kiddle search results satisfy family-friendly requirements, as it filters sites with explicit or deceptive content. You can read more on kids safe search here.
2) Kids-Oriented Results: the points below illustrate how this search engine for kids returns results for each query (in the order shown):
- Safe sites and pages are written specifically for kids. Handpicked and checked by Kiddle editors.
Typically, results 1-3.
- Safe trusted sites that are not written specifically for kids but have content written in a simple way, easy for kids to understand. Handpicked and checked by Kiddle editors.
Typically, results 4-7.
- Safe, famous sites that are written for adults, providing expert content, but are harder for kids to understand. Filtered by Google safe search.
Typically, results 8 onwards.
3) Big Thumbnails: most search results are illustrated with big thumbnails, which makes it easier to scan the results, differentiate between them, and click the most appropriate results to your query. Thumbnails serve as visual clues and are especially beneficial to kids as they don’t read as fast as adults.
4) Large Arial font in search results provides better readability for kids.
5) Privacy: This search engine for kids doesn’t collect any personally identifiable information, and its logs are deleted every 24 hours. You can read their full privacy statement here.
Visit our shop